Japan Railways is a division of ACP Marketing (Ireland) Limited.
General Terms and Conditions
- All prices are subject to change. Prices on this website are quoted in the specified currency. Japan Railways reserves the right to change prices without notice whether such changes are related or not to alterations in rates of exchange.
- Travelers are responsible for ensuring that they have all the necessary visas and appropriate travel documents prior to their departure.
- Train schedules and fares are subject to change and availability.
- When the Ticket or Pass is issued by a travel agency, the agency is merely the intermediary of the carriers and assumes no liability resulting from the transport contract.
- Passes are strictly personal, non-transferable and only valid together with a passport or official identity card.
- Shipping charges and delivery time are dependent on your country of residence. If a product is ordered at short notice, Japan Railways is not responsible for delays in delivery service or otherwise.
- Lost Tickets: Japan Railways is not responsible for tickets or vouchers, which are lost, stolen, mutilated or destroyed. Refunds cannot be authorized in such cases.
- Rail Protection Plan: Trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Conditions of Travel
- For complete product details please refer to the product booking pages.
- Passes are valid from 00:00 hrs to 24:00 hrs (Midnight to Midnight) on a chosen day of travel.
- If a pass holder is traveling on a direct overnight train containing sleeper accommodation departing after 7pm, the next day’s date must be entered. In such cases, travel from 7pm and midnight of the following day is included and considered as one day of travel. If the overnight trip requires a train change before midnight, the traveler must use 2 travel days. This rule may vary by rail carrier.
- Seats, sleepers, couchettes, pass holder tickets for travel on high speed and night trains, luggage checking, and port taxes, are all subject to additional charges which are not covered by the passes.
- Passes cannot be issued to residents of the countries the pass is valid in (unless otherwise specified in the product information pages).
- Passes are non-transferable and must only be used by the person or persons specified on the Pass.
- Train operators and their representatives may ask at any time for proof of foreign residency and reserve the right to confiscate the ticket or pass in such circumstances.
- Japanese Passes are not available to Japanese passport holders. To exchange your e-ticket, your passport must contain a Temporary Visitor (sightseeing or similar purpose) stamp or sticker showing permission to stay for 15 or 90 days issued by the Japanese Immigration Bureau. The stamp or sticker is placed in the passenger passport by an immigration officer upon arrival to Japan. Only those with the passport bearing the stamp or sticker may use a Japanese Pass.
Seat Reservations & Supplements
- Having a pass does not guarantee a seat.
- Seat reservations and supplements are especially required for high speed trains and night trains; they differ per train, per route and per departure date.
- Some trains require the payment of a surcharge, which includes the compulsory seat reservation.
- On some trains the number of seats available for Pass holders may be limited. It is highly recommended to make reservations in advance.
- For the majority of Japanese trains seats can be reserved without extra charge. If a passenger boards a train without a reserved-seat ticket, or if the reserved-seating area of the train is full, the passenger will have to travel in the non-reserved-seating area. When travelling on trains where a seat reservation is mandatory, such as the Tohoku Shinkansen Hayate, Akita Shinkansen Komachi and Narita Express, the passenger will not be permitted to board without a seat reservation.
First Class and Standard Class Seating
- Extra charges are applicable on upgrading your accommodation to private compartments and sleeper cars when available.
- First Class Pass holders should note that some trains provide standard accommodation only. This consideration is allowed for in the pricing of the First Class Pass.
- Holders of Adult / Child Standard Class passes or tickets may travel in First Class accommodations on payment of the difference between the First Class and Standard Class full fare of the journey being made.
- Many Japanese trains have Green Cars (first class cars). Most trains have ordinary cars (standard class cars). Holders of the Green-type (F booking class) may use the Green cars or ordinary cars. Holders of the Ordinary-type (Y booking class) may only use the ordinary cars.
- When returning passes, tickets or vouchers for a refund, the package should be sent to the office from which the documents were purchased and should be declared as a document with no monetary value.
- Refunds will only be granted if:
- The non-validated Pass, unused Ticket or original exchange coupon or voucher is returned to the office from which it was purchased within 6 months from the date of issue. (Unless the refund time limit is otherwise stated on the product page. A longer refund time limit applies to Eurail Passes, German Rail Passes and Japan JR East Passes.)
- Passes or Tickets must bear no evidence of having been tampered with in any way.
- No refund can be made if the Pass or Ticket cannot be produced.
- Refunds are not given on validated Passes or Tickets once the commencement date has been reached.
- Where a Pass or a Ticket becomes part of an inclusive Tour Package, it is not separately refundable.
- Neither the Participating Operators nor their Agents can accept any responsibility for any failure in the provision of any special offers included.
- Unless otherwise outlined, a minimum 15% cancellation fee is imposed on unused Passes or Tickets.
- Special offers are not refundable.
- Refunds must be returned to the original office of issuance for processing.
- No refund can be made while traveling.
- There is no refund for partially used Passes or Tickets. Passes or Tickets presented on or after the first day of validity are considered partially used.
- Passes and tickets may not be used on any services not mentioned.
- The JR EAST PASS is not valid for travel on “Liner”/”Home Liner” local trains, “Super-Hakucho, Hakucho”, “Hakutaka”, “Raicho, Hokuetsu”, “Shinano”, “Odoriko, Super-View Odoriko”, “Kinugawa”, “Nikko”, the Tokaido Shinkansen and the Sanyo Shinkansen lines.
- All rail passes must be validated prior to the first use.
- Failure to comply with Pass validation requirements may result in the payment of a fine, pass confiscation and the cost of a full fare ticket.
- Japanese Passes are valid for travel within one month from the date the Pass was exchanged in Japan. Each date on which the Pass is used will be stamped on the Pass at the respective station’s ticket gate or aboard trains.
Privacy & Security
In cases where the user provides personal contact information and financial information, it is used solely for billing purposes and to fulfill customer orders. Japan Railways is committed to respecting users’ privacy and protecting their personal information both online and off-line. This website takes every precaution to protect user information.
Responsibility & Liability
Japan Railways acts only as a booking agent. Japan Railways has no control over, and is not responsible for, any of the tours, Passes and other travel accommodations listed in or referred to on this website. All bookings are accepted and all tickets, Passes and vouchers are issued on the express condition that Japan Railways is not responsible or liable for any loss (consequential or other-wise), damage (including but not limited to loss of or damage to Passenger’ clothes, baggage, or other property whatsoever), death, injury, delay, inconvenience or irregularity caused by or arising out of or in connection with any defect in any vehicle or other land or sea conveyance used, rented or travelled in, or through the negligence, willful misconduct or other acts, defaults or omissions of any carrier, car rental company, hotel, restaurant or other provider of goods or services. Every booking is accepted subject to the conditions, tariffs, and regulations imposed by the rail, shipping, bus, car rental, car insurance or other companies, firms or persons concerned.